Main content starts here, tab to start navigating


The space our little restaurant occupies today, on the corner of 12th and Harvey, was built in 1949. The building has a long history as a hub for this historic neighborhood in East Austin, and has seen life as a grocery store, a laundromat, a warehouse for rummage sales, a barbecue restaurant, and a couple of Mexican restaurants.

Arthur and Joyce Anderson, the owners of our building bought the space in 1991 and have been anchors in our neighborhood ever since. Grace Fellowship Baptist Church which they’ve owned and operated next door for over three decades has been a source of dignity to the underprivileged, a kitchen to the hungry, and a home to those without one.

They're as committed to their work today as they were thirty years ago when this article was published. We are grateful for Joyce and Arthur's support of the two of us and of Birdie's. 

a man in a newspaper